Bill Pay Basics
Q: What is Bill Pay?
A: Bill Pay is a service that allows you to pay virtually anyone or any company through your online banking account. You determine who you want to pay, when you want to make the payment and which account you want the payment to come from. It's safe, secure and easy to use.
Q: Who can I pay with Bill Pay?
A: You can pay virtually any business or individual with a mailing address within the United States and Puerto Rico. For example, you can pay utilities, cable bills or credit cards, or individuals such as a landlord, babysitter or relative.
Getting Started with Bill Pay
Q: How do I enroll in Bill Pay?
A: It’s easy to enroll in Bill Pay. Just log in to your account and click the "Bill Pay" link to access the short enrollment form.
Q: How do I start using Bill Pay?
A: The first step is to add a payee, the person or company you wish to pay. Here’s how easy it is:
- Log in to your account and click the "Bill Pay" link.
- Click the "Add a Payee" button on your home page dashboard.
- Enter the requested information. Typically this information can be found on your latest bill statement.
Once you add your payee, you can start making payments in seconds.
Q: How do I make payments with Bill Pay?
- Find your payee on the payments dashboard.
- Enter the payment amount and date, then submit.
How Bill Pay Works
Q: How are payments delivered?
A: Payments may process electronically or by check. Electronic payments will either process through ACH or by virtual card. The goal is to deliver your payment securely, using the fastest method available for your payee. All other payments are made by paper checks that are mailed via the U.S. Postal Service.
Q: Is Bill Pay secure?
A: Paying bills online is one of the safest ways to pay your bills. Bill Pay helps guard against identity theft from lost or stolen checkbooks, bills and statements. It also increases your privacy because only you can access your account information, account numbers and payment history. As a result, you maintain tighter control of your account with real-time access to your payments activity.
Q: How long does it take before my payment is received?
A: Generally, your payment is received within 2 to 7 days, depending on whether or not it is sent electronically or via paper check.
Bill Pay Benefits
Q: What are the primary benefits of Bill Pay?
A: Here's a quick list of the many ways you can benefit from using Bill Pay.
- Save time. With Bill Pay, you can pay your bills online, all in one place. That means no more visiting multiple websites to pay bills or trips to the post office to mail checks. In addition, smart features such as recurring payments allow you to automate regular bill payments.
- Save money. Paying bills online saves on postage, envelopes, late fees and checks. If you pay just 10 bills per month, you can easily save over $110.00* per year.
- Stay organized. Your payment history is stored in your online account, so you won't have to sort through paper receipts or visit multiple websites to access past transactions.
- Gain peace of mind. Paying bills electronically means no risk of mailed checks getting lost or stolen. Plus, you can stop worrying about missing a bill payment when you set up reminders and automated recurring payments.
- Help the environment by saving paper. With Bill Pay, there are no checks to write or envelopes to mail. That's good news for you and the environment.
*Savings are approximate and based upon the average annual cost of stamps, envelopes and checks required for paying 10 bills per month.